Dienstag, 15. November 2011

Git for economists

If you have not heard of version control systems you have either never programmed, or you are missing out on a really helpful tool.

 A version control system remembers all the different versions of a project. If you have ever programmed a STATA or R script you have run into the situation where somethin does not work any more that did work... yesterday.

A really nice version control system is GIT.   I have switched over from Subversion today, after having watched this video of linus torvals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Git works without a central repository, so I have my complete code base with me- -not matter what device I work on.








2 Kommentare:

  1. Would you recommend Git over Bazaar? My understanding is that Bazaar is easier to pick up for those of us who are not as strong technically (i.e. I'm not a developer). Do you have any comments on the comparison?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I have never heard of Bazaar before, but from what i read here
    http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html
    it sounds very interesting.

    AntwortenLöschen